There was an error in this gadget

Friday, September 16, 2011

Philosophy Connection 1

The first connection to popular culture that I am writing on will be about a book. (aka extreme topic birdwalking TO THE MAX)

The week before school started I started to read "The Road" by: Cormac McCarthy.  I ended up finishing it in a day because I could not put it down.  At first when I read it and went back and reflected upon it, and it seemed like a normal book about surviving in a post appocolyptic world where food was scarse and there were few survivors.  I forgot about the book the first week of school, and it slowly faded to a distant memory, that was, untill I started to take this class in philosophy.  I started to think to myself, what if that actually happned, how could it happen, and would we ever be able to recover from it?  I now think that the human race's intelligence will be its own demise and some unstopable force will be created that will crumble civizilation and maybe even kill every organism on earth.  Maybe this has alredy happned on a small scale such as when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  But then after thinking for a while I started to think back to the question the philosopher asked Sophie in Sophies world.  Is everything made out of one substance?  When somthing such as a bomb goes off, nothing is destroyed, its state is only changed not created or destroyed.  But if we are also made of that substance do we truly die in an appocolyptic event, or is our state only changed.  We would still be here on earth, at least our bodys, just in a diffrent form.  So do we truly die or, like our body, do our thoughts and mind continue to exist, just in a diffrent form than they once were.

No comments:

Post a Comment